Change in the Rye

As the title may suggest I have indeed changed my book as even though Stephen king’s Cell is a wonderful book it will prove however difficult for analysis. I have instead chose Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Within my new book the characterization of Holden Caulfield peaks my interest as it strongly reflects the attitude of the books author. Within the book Salinger writes, “ The both of them kept thanking me so much it was embarrassing” (Salinger 123). Caulfield is portrayed as teenager in his youth showing subtle emotion behind his actions yet recluses from situations that bring them to light.

Im a huge fan of Salinger and his work through Catcher in the Rye. He perfectly portrays the time period he encapsulated in his book and further does this by putting the readers eyes in Caulfield’s. The structure of following Caulfield through his life in the span of a couple days truly gives us a perspective of what Caulfield goes through and how he feels within the world. Salinger utilizes caulfield’s hat and represents it as an escape from society and a step back from the world for Holden which allows many readers who feel the same a way to relate to his character. Overall, Salinger does a wonderful job of portraying his world and characters within his book and is certainly one of the best.

2 thoughts on “Change in the Rye

1. Hello Diego, this is your fellow classmate James here to comment on your recent blog post. I am glad to see that you have chosen to change your book to Catcher in the Rye, for it is one of the best books I have ever read. While I do think that the plain plot is quite boring, the book has plenty to enjoy behind the words on the pages. This, in turn, will give you much to analyze in your final project. It is good to see that you have already found some things that you can analyze such as his hat and how it represents his escape from society. I wish you the best luck moving forward from here, it is truly a great piece of literature you have chosen to analyze.

2. I think you will be pleased with your switch to Catcher in the Rye. There will be ample information on the characterization of Holden.